A Refreshing Choice for Your Next Retreat in Southern Europe
Create a spectacular retreat for your clients in a unique and secluded riverside setting in the peaceful Algarve countryside in the south of Portugal. Surrounded by nature’s breathtaking bounty, The River House provides the perfect backdrop for tranquility and transformation.
Nestled in a nature reserve in the hills of Silves, The River House offers total privacy, attractive and comfortable accommodation for up to 10 people and 2 hosts in a spectacularly restored Portuguese farmhouse. Perfect for intimate groups, this riverside refuge is ideal for transformational retreats featuring:
- Health and wellness activities: walking, yoga, stand-up paddle boarding, horse riding, meditation and movement classes
- Creative pursuits: writing, drawing, art painting and crafts
- Corporate trainings: professional development, management, team-building and brainstorming.
Whatever theme you have in mind, this idyllic, southern Europe retreat location, on the banks of the Funcho river, is perfect for inspiring creativity, connection and peace of mind. A perfect location for your group to deepen connection, unwind tension and bathe in the beauty of nature.
I can’t recommend this place highly enough….you wont be disappointed with its location and beautiful views overlooking the river. – Charlie
Unique to this Riverside Location
- Well-marked hiking trails from the villa
- Access to the long-distance walking trail, via Algarviana
- Water activities on order
- Double kayak and stand-up paddle board for your enjoyment
- Birdwatching from the comfort of your sofa
- Gorgeous views over the river
- Yoga equipment on request
- Winter sun destination
Make this Riverside Retreat location your space.
A secret yoga retreat oasis in Southern Europe
Walking Routes Straight from the Door
We had bikes delivered to the villa for our stay & did some beautiful rides & lots of walking whilst enjoying the local villages. – Lucy
The villa is wonderfully positioned on the path of various self-guided walking trails that are straight from the door. These walking trails take you along the river, pass vineyards, orange, carob, olive and cork oak trees and aromatic lavender and rosemary plants. Our popular easy going 5km walks lead you along the scenic river Funcho to the “Secret Pond” or “Church Hill” with gorgeous landscape views. Walking trails, included in our walking holiday programme cover 10 km or more and meander pass quaint country ruins, goats, sheep and into villages where you will find several eateries to enjoy a leisurely lunch. The 255km, long distance via Algarviana hiking route, winds from east to west in the Algarve and visitors have easy access to explore sections 9 (27km) and 8 (19km) as this route passes the villa.
The video below has been created to inspire you to explore the unspoilt Algarve countryside with gorgeous views of the river. A breathtaking backdrop for a holiday retreat of any kind.
Birdwatching from the Comfort of your Couch
Relax on the outdoor sofas under the shade of the mature carob trees and listen to the birdsong. Watch out for the birds flying in the sky such as the exotic looking hoopoe, the fast flying swifts and swallows, the gliding large storks and the azure-winged magpies. The wading birds such as the egret, crane and heron can be seen, beyond the blue echiums, on the waters edge feeding in the water.
Delight your Guests with an Incredible Array of Awe-Inspiring Activities
I just love the stunning views, breath taking location and tranquil atmosphere. – Tom
Whatever is the focus of your retreat, we can support you with a tailor-made itinerary including referrals to local activities.
We work closely with a number of local artisans and purveyors in the Algarve countryside. We can also provide personal recommendations for activities and venues to complement your vision.
You can select catering, workshop and activity options to enhance your bespoke retreat. Most of the activities are held on location so you can keep the group all at one location, and reduce cost and stress of arranging additional transport.
This video has been lovingly created to show you our spacious relaxing, tranquil outdoor areas, all with spectacular views including suggested on-site and off-site activities that you can include in your programme that will help support and teach what your are sharing. Take a look.
Interesting activities to help teach your material, or activities for your guests to enjoy during free time.
Stretch. Swim. Balance. Culinary. Activities.
- Massage therapy
- Gong baths
- Nature walks on the self guided via Algarviana walking route
- Wild swimming
- Stand up paddle (SUP) lessons/tours
- Hiking, take a look at our walking routes
- Portuguese wine tasting
- Cooking classes using local fresh fruit and vegetables from a nearby produce market
- Portuguese tile painting
- Bird watching, take a look at our heard and seen list of birds
Seaside. Historical Towns. Wine Tasting. Exploring.
- A trip to the seaside by car is a mere 25 minute drive to Falésia beach with its gorgeous ochre coloured sand cliffs. Falésia is also known as one of Europes best beaches. Visit to the neighbouring Portuguese fishing village, Olhos d’Agau, where you will discover seaside restaurants and Portuguese souvenir shops.
- A great way to explore the countryside is to book a hack with the near by horse riding school as it is only a 10-minute walk from the location.
- The village, Caldas de Monchique, is surrounded by the mountains of Serra de Monchique and is a 40 minute drive by car. Stop at the highest peak in the Algarve, Fóia, to enjoy magnificent scenic views of the countryside. A leisurely lunch under the mature trees in the village square of Caldas de Monchique is very pleasurable. Visit the art gallery, Portuguese craft shop and stroll through the beautiful woods that has natural water features and a fitness trail.
- A visit to the historical town, Silves, is a 15-minute drive by car. Visit one of the best preserved Moorish castles in the area, the magnificent gothic cathedral and the archaeological museum. Sample the traditional Algarvian confectionary at the Portuguese tearoom, Da Rosa; seafood lovers always enjoy Rui’s seafood dishes. Café Inglês, near the castle, has a live music programme over week-ends.
- A 15-minute drive to Alte, a typical and picturesque, Algarvean village, where you can experience wild swimming in the cool refreshing springs and the local waterfall. The 13th century church with hand painted pieces is worth exploring.
- A short 15-minute trip by car takes you to Paderne to enjoy authentic Algarvian cuisine and the opportunity to explore the award winning wine cellar with a massive wine collection of 50,000 bottles!
Images of Activities to Choose From
Or Simply Relax by the Poolside
Modern Style and Luxurious Accommodations
Originally a Portuguese farmhouse, The River House is a spacious property which has been fully renovated to combine modern style and traditional charm.
Just a 35-minute drive from Faro Airport into the Algarve’s peaceful countryside, The River House features:
- 5 double bedrooms, 2 with ensuite bathrooms – and a large communal bathroom. All rooms can be made up with single beds, on request. Explore each room on this link.
- 1 small room for 2 hosts, cloakroom and an outdoor shower.
- Light and airy social spaces; high-ceiling lounge and kitchen outfitted with a center island and a bespoke cherry wood dining table.
- Spacious deck area with terraces offering warm sun, a cool canopy and natural shade; all with stunning views of the countryside and breathtaking sunsets.
- Infinity pool with jaw-dropping views of the Funcho dam and river area.
Spacious, comfortable bedrooms at Portugal’s yoga retreat
The spacious outdoor areas are designed for a variety of uses including relaxation, workshops, meditation, therapies and alfresco dining. Mature carob trees adorned with lanterns lend a magical atmosphere. This undisturbed and tranquil location offers spectacular views and unbeatable sunsets to inspire your creativity and infuse your heart with a sense of peace.
For a scenic tour of the property’s fabulous amenities and features, the following video has been lovingly created to delight your senses:
It’s your time | Make it your signature retreat.
Waterfront deck with tranquil river and countryside views
Blissful Tranquility and a Timelessness Secluded Location
And, that magic happens year-round. The Algarve has over 300 hours of sunshine and most days have clear blue skies. The Algarve is truly and ideal all-year-round retreat destination.
The months, April/May and September/October, are ideal months for running retreats as day temperatures average about 23°C with comfortable night temperatures of about 17°C. Warm, sunny days during these periods are ideal for exploring the countryside on foot and springtime is especially beautiful with the hills filled with wild lavender, white rock roses and an abundance of birdlife and wildflowers.
A Wide Variety Of Mouth-Watering Culinary Delights Await You And Your Guests
Local town supermarche is stocked with everything you would need, even vegan items which was an amazing surprise! – Hema
Your guests can feast on a varied menu of local seasonal produce and fresh juices, exploring what feels good and tastes great and don’t forget to include tasty homemade cakes and treats too!
The riverside farmhouse kitchen is the perfect setting to turn fresh, seasonal produce sourced from the nearby village market into delicious delights. You can have seasonal vegetables, fruit, honey, bread or cheese from our village market procured for you courtesy of our shopping concierge service.
If you’d rather not prepare your own meals, you have the option of ordering in a wholesome breakfast or brunch that includes fresh fruit, home made granola, freshly baked muffins, oat porridge served with local Algarve rosemary honey and freshly squeezed juices, smoothies and turmeric lattes.
For main meals request the services of our catering partner who delivers freshly prepared meals. A range of vegan, vegetarian, fish and meat options can be viewed here. Otherwise, bring along your own chef who will prepare a scrumptious dinner every night for you and your guests in our farmhouse kitchen.
Retreat leaders can also request daily kitchen help or generally support to allow you to focus fully on your guests and running your retreat.
Promote your retreat
Create printed and online material with the help of our resource library: high-resolution photos, and postcard and video templates that can be customised with your content and branding.
What is Included
- Idyllic riverside location
- Yoga equipment – 12 Yoga mats, blocks, belts, bolsters and blankets
- 5 Spacious, comfortable and fully air-conditioned double bedrooms, 2 with en-suite bathrooms and a large communal bathroom. 3 Additional double rooms with en-suite bathrooms in 2024.
- 1 Bunk room for retreat leaders, sleeping 2
- All rooms have WiFi, duvets, linens, towels, hairdryers (in bathrooms), downstairs walk-in showers with grab bars, anti-allergy fibre pillows, mosquito net doors, heating, and A/C, some have televisions
- Bath towels, linen and swimming towels
- Mid-week clean and bath towels changed
- Outdoor showering under the Algarve starry sky with hot and cold water
- Light and airy social spaces, a high-ceiling lounge and kitchen outfitted with a centre island and a cherry wood dining table
- Figs on the Funcho’s tried and tasted vegetarian and vegan retreat meal plan
- Indoor and riverside outdoor areas for alfresco meals
- Spacious relaxing, tranquil outdoor areas overlooking surrounding riverside views for workouts and relaxation
- Limitless walking trails and a starry night sky
- Spectacular sunsets and sunrises
- Infinity splash pool
- Cheryl’s personal recommendations for activities and venues to complement your vision
- High-resolution photos for marketing the retreat venue
What is Stopping you from Running a Retreat?
Do you love the idea of running a retreat but don’t know where to start? Or have you run retreats before and would benefit from ways of making it an even more memorable experience?
For the last 4 years, I’ve been running successful retreats (painting and walking holidays) at Portugal’s Figs on the Funcho, and now I am writing a book.
This book is for leaders and coaches and will help you to create a clear view of how you can create a signature retreat, including possible activities that will complement your programme.
By completing this survey, you will help me to understand
- the difficulties you face,
- the questions you’d like me to answer,
- and the advice you need
because I would like to inspire more people to take the leap of faith and run their own retreats.
Complete the survey here and get your free “Retreat Location Checklist” that can be used as a checklist when you are searching for a location anywhere in the world to run your retreat. And get in touch with me if you would like to chat.
Stay in Touch
Alternatively you can contact me using the contact form.